Monday, January 13, 2014

Windows 9 Needs To Be Microsoft's Best OS Ever



Talks of a 2015 release of Windows 9 has been making it's rounds with the codename "Threshold" and I can't help but jump in with my take on the news.

I've been using Windows based machines since about 1995 and although it wasn't until the release of Windows 98 would I acquire my very own Compaq Presario, I can safely say that my overall relationship with Windows has been love/hate.

It was the only game in town right? I sure as heck could not afford a Mac at the time, nor did I have a clue what Linux was, so like everyone else, I would wield a Windows operating system and I've owned every edition from 98, all the way to the current Windows 8.1.

Now, I'm one of the few techies out there that didn't think Windows 8 was a complete abomination. In fact, I have gone in the complete opposite direction and tried to inform people that it was actually a pretty decent system under the hood. It's even much simpler to use once you get used to the subtle changes. Windows 8.1 also turned an alright system into a great system.

But alas, the world is not full of me and Windows 8 never gained much traction between geek and everyday consumer alike. Even Microsoft is embarrassed about this as millions would voice their opinions sharing a strong distaste for the new UI.

I think most of us agree that Windows needs an overhaul and Microsoft certainly tried to bring Windows into the modern world, however people just aren't willing to plunk down hundreds of dollars on a less than excellent OS when there are now viable alternatives - and some of those alternatives costing zero dollars.

So where does that leave Windows 9? I believe it will need to be Microsoft's greatest Operating System to date. They have competition now within budget to mid-range systems. Ubuntu is gaining more and more traction and Chrome OS has been putting a dent in market share. Plus, Android on the desktop/laptop is on the horizon.

Instead of me talking about what I think would make Windows 9 awesome, (I'll do that in a later post) I would like to point you to some Windows 9 Concept Designs where you can find 7 different possibilities of what Windows 9 could look like.

There probably isn't going to be much of a collaborative yawn when 9 strikes either. It's either going to wow, or it's going to be damned to the ends of eternity. It needs to make an impact and it needs to leave people with no reason to switch.

But what if it doesn't? What if it fails miserably? Is Microsoft's reign as king over? That is still very unlikely but it could certainly sound the death trumpets in what could be the beginning of the end. It's still largely a Windows world in both consumer and enterprise land.

I would suggest that Microsoft not hype their shiny new system in the least and keep information about it well below the radar. Users are going to have really high expectations following a not-so-dazzling release in it's previous incarnation.

If it's not a great system, will it be the end of Microsoft? No, but if it's not their best system ever, you can bet people will start looking elsewhere for their computing needs.

And that is not how you sell Operating Systems.


Share This!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tech Raven Guardians protect this realm and guard against the invasive Captcha Species so you may comment here as freely as you wish.

Follow

 photo TwitterIcon_zps64e132fe.jpg  photo Googleicong_zpsc68ba3bd.jpg  photo Linkedinicon_zpsddebff71.jpg  photo YoutubeIcong_zpse127dbe5.jpg  photo Untitled_zps1a537289.jpg  photo gmail-icon-small_zps63440291.png

Subscribe

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates