Saturday, December 28, 2013

Importance of Your Google+ Profle Pic

As 2014 peeks just around the corner and with all the changes that have been implemented on Google+ this past year, you might not think your little profile pic is all that important. You may not even think twice about changing it for the new year because after all, it's working for you right? It has helped get you to where are today. Or maybe your strategy has been to change it many times. Perhaps your profile pic is a cat and you're happy with that. Either way, you may have had some thoughts about getting a shiny new avatar heading into twenty-fourteen

I'll admit it. The thought of changing my own avatar makes me slightly nauseated. It has helped put me on the map. Everything that I have worked for on the platform was done behind the goofy, fun spirited and some even say "iconic" little photo.

But is it time for a change?


Oh Hai! (Yes, I was in the bathroom for this shot!)

I can't answer this question directly and it may take some further thought long beyond the end of this post but I can't help but wonder if I'm finally in a position where it may be holding me back.

Let me explain...

As part of my head first dive back into the Information Technology world, I've been readily exploring as many avenues as possible including Social Media and more recently my Vlog on my YouTube Channel and this website that you are reading now.

If you have been watching my Vlog then you most likey have had your tongue planted firmly in cheek listening to my rambles, beaming to my various characters, or even checking to see who the next #Goaturday Champion will be.

Don't get me wrong, this has all been a blast but my channel is missing a couple of very crucial elements:

Professionalism and Technology.

Going through these transformations brings me back to image and I don't feel that respectable people in the online tech world are going to take me seriously if I don't look like I'm taking myself seriously. So maybe it's time to remove the aviators and the headphones and get a new, more professional photo heading into 2014.

Let's just hope this is not the equivalent of when KISS removed their face paint...



Your Profile Pic


It might be a good idea for you to get a profile picture if you do not already have one. If you want people to get a better sense of who you are then I would recommend making it a pic of yourself. I'm not saying you should or should not do this but it might help you out depending on what you're doing on Google+ in the first place.

When dealing with first impressions on Google+, people don't really have much to go by. They might briefly scan your About Me page or go back through a few of your posts or maybe check to see if you have any other pictures of yourself but for the most part, your avatar will be the primary means of identification. 

People will choose to follow you or not based only on your profile pic. This rings true for most people, I would think. For example, I won't follow anyone without a profile pic or anyone with a pic that condones hate, racism or violence. Everyone will develop their own rules by which they follow but it all starts with the initial profile picture.

When people think about you when they are offline, the first image that pops up is probably your current profile pic. Every relationship that you have ever built online is linked by this image and serves to be your own personal brand.

There isn't really a set of rules as to what makes for a successful profile pic and if there is then I wouldn't buy it for a second. It's ultimately up to the end user to decide if they like it or not and many will say they don't really care however, it's  in our DNA and subconsciousness to decide within seconds if we would like to continue to engage a person.

If this sounds a little shallow, you're probably right but it's an online world after all, where things can be pretty one dimensional. If you wish to go deeper then you certainly may and most do ; but for the masses that may be looking in at you, your avatar is what they see.

As for me, I may turn to a little advice from  +Michael P. Johnson  and this article that was written over the summer from his blog:



Check it out if you are interested in changing your own avatar into something more professional.




Authorship - Is it really you?

Google's algorithms are increasingly more aware of your face and doesn't really understand things like sunglasses, heavy makeup or anything that makes it hard for you to be identified. Google can validate your content much easier if it can recognize your face. If you're a content creator then you will benefit greatly from having a professional photo. In short, your articles and posts will be found much easier if Google can put a face with the information.


Conclusion 

Your profile pic should ultimately reflect you and what you put up for the public to see will all depend on what your goals are on G+. If it's for fun, throw up a silly head shot. If it's for business, make sure it reflects the professionalism of your company. If it's for friends and light networking, then a simple seflie will suffice. It's up to you but just remember, it really matters-- not only to your peers and potential followers but to Google as well. 

Make it a good one!

Share This!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tech Raven Guardians protect this realm and guard against the invasive Captcha Species so you may comment here as freely as you wish.

Follow

 photo TwitterIcon_zps64e132fe.jpg  photo Googleicong_zpsc68ba3bd.jpg  photo Linkedinicon_zpsddebff71.jpg  photo YoutubeIcong_zpse127dbe5.jpg  photo Untitled_zps1a537289.jpg  photo gmail-icon-small_zps63440291.png

Subscribe

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates